About Heather Hedden
Heather Hedden is an information management professional, with a specialization in taxonomies, controlled vocabularies, metadata, and indexing.
Heather’s employed experience has been largely with Cengage Learning and its predecessor companies and for a shorter period with other employers. After starting as periodical database indexer and user of controlled vocabularies with Information Access Company in 1993, Heather moved up into the vocabulary management group of the company in 1996, which, through mergers and acquisitions, became the Gale Group, then Thomson Learning, and now Cengage Learning. She left the company in 2004 and returned to the same position again in 2014.
Employed experience Heather had in the intervening decade includes those of:
– Senior Taxonomy Analyst, providing custom taxonomy design and development services to clients of the the consulting company Project Performance Corporation.
– Taxonomy Manager, creating taxonomies for document management and search in SharePoint at First Wind Energy.
– Information Taxonomist, developing taxonomies integrated into a search software tool for the start-up software developer Viziant Corporation.
Heather started her business Hedden Information Management in 2004, and has offered various services over the years: small website design and information architecture, back-of-the-book indexing, website A-Z index creation, web indexing training, taxonomy and controlled vocabulary design and creation, taxonomy evaluation and consulting, and taxonomy creation training.
Heather independently teaches an online course in taxonomy creation and previously taught it through the Continuing Education Program of Simmons College – School of Library and Information Science. She has given numerous conference workshops and presentations and published many articles on taxonomies, indexing, and other information management topics and has written two books: The Accidental Taxonomist, published by Information Today, Inc. in 2010 and the second edition in 2016, and Indexing Specialties: Web Sites, published jointly by the American Society for Indexing and Information Today, Inc. in 2007. Heather also has a background in writing and editing, including reference book essays, abstracts, technical documentation, and magazine and newspaper articles.
Heather’s professional activities include the following:
- Working group co-chair, for the revision of NISO TR02-1997, Guidelines for Indexes and Related Information Retrieval Devices, NISO (National Information Standards Organization), 2018 – present.
- Editor and North American contact for the Basel Register of Thesauri, Ontologies, and Classifications (BARTOC.org), 2018 – present.
- Member of the board of the American Society for Indexing, 2015 – 2018.
- Working group member of the Content and Collection Management Topic Committee’s Bibliographic Roadmap Project of NISO (National Information Standards Organization), which published NISO TR-06-2017, Issues in Vocabulary Management, 2015-2107.
- Manger of the Digital Publications Indexing Special Interest Group of ASI, 2017.
- Chair of the Mentoring Committee (2010-2012) and chair of the Membership Committee (2016) of the Taxonomy Division of SLA.
- Founder and manager of the Taxonomies & Controlled Vocabularies Special Interest Group if ASI, 2007-2010.
- Vice president and then president of the New England Chapter of the American Society for Indexing (ASI), 2005-2006.
Heather is profiled/interviewed in:
- Synaptica Insights (2018)
- Journal of Digital Media Management (2012)
- Another DAM Blog podcast (2010)
- Infonista (2010)
- Cornell University Russian Program
Contact Heather Hedden
98 East Riding Drive
Carlisle, MA 01741-1602
Tel. 978-467-5195 (mobile)