Taxonomy and Metadata Design
Two-day series (4 hours/day) interactive online/virtual workshop
Organizer: Technology Transfer
Dates: 8 hours over two days: Monday – Tuesday, November 14 – 15, 2022,
8:00 am – 12:00 pm ET (14:00 – 18:00 CET) each day (with breaks)
Format: interactive Zoom
Price: € 600
Download PDF description
Course website link and registration
A core part of a knowledge management or content management plan is an integrated taxonomy and metadata strategy. Content that is tagged with metadata, supported by a taxonomy, becomes more manageable, findable, discoverable, and sharable. Metadata is broader than a taxonomy, but a taxonomy is deeper than metadata alone.
Taxonomies and descriptive metadata should be designed in combination. Taxonomies and metadata also need to be designed to best represent the unique content set and its particular users. A licensed taxonomy from an external source is rarely appropriate. This one-day seminar provides the basics in best practices for designing and building a taxonomy and a broader descriptive metadata schema that supports findability and discoverability.
This seminar considers all implementation of metadata and taxonomies, whether for internal/enterprise knowledge management or for customer-facing Web content management, whether for manual or auto-tagging, and whether in a content management system, document management system, digital asset management system, SharePoint, or an internally developed database.
What you will learn
- The types, benefits, uses of taxonomies
- How to determine what kind of taxonomy is right for your implementation
- What resources to use in developing a taxonomy
- How to design a set of metadata properties that will be appropriately usable and useful
- How to develop taxonomy terms/metadata values and synonyms that best serve the users
- How to correctly structure hierarchical relationships between taxonomy terms
- How to design a faceted taxonomy with consideration of the user interface
- What should be included in a taxonomy/metadata governance plan
- What software tools are available for taxonomy management
- Metadata and controlled vocabulary definitions, types, uses, and standards
- Tagging and categorizing
- Planning and design of metadata and taxonomy
- Developing terms, synonyms, and hierarchical relationships
- Taxonomy structural design: hierarchical and faceted
- Taxonomy implementations, displays, search integration, multilingual options, and interoperability
- Taxonomy management software
Course website link with preview video
Registration is open.